One powerful way to re-connect to someone that you are in a close relationship with, is to make some time for some “back-to-back” time (which doesn’t have to be back-to-back, but once or twice a week, would probably be a good start.)
What do I mean by “back-to-back”? Well, I mean literally your back against theirs. Never intentionally tried this or maybe this sounds like what you do in bed after an argument. Ok, this is different… this is where your back is pressed-up against their back. So, you say, “Why would that help?!”
Back-to-back time could have the following benefits for you:
- creates a special time to physically re-connect
- gives an opportunity to have non-sexual physical contact
- feel the breathing movement and warmth of the other person
- it gives an opportunely to focus on the other person
- if done correctly, it may help with your posture too
- not just for adults, it can be a great activity for any age
Give it a try! Whether laying down or sitting up, it may have a beneficial affect on your relationship.
You may be amazed at how much communication goes on with just the breathing movements and breathing noises. Focusing on how the other person subtle movements and noises, is a great way to strengthen your compassion sensitivity.
NOTE: Be sure to eliminate any distractions, closing your eyes will probably help. 🙂